Mold is a common fungus that is made up of multi-cellular strands called hyphae. Mold spores can be found in the air almost anywhere and have been on the planet for millions of years. There are two criteria for mold to begin its growth cycle. The first is a source of moisture or humidity. The second is a food source like wood or drywall. Contact Oceanside Restoration today for mold remediation.
What Mold Means To Your Health
The dangers of mold should be taken seriously, exposure to mold can have a variety of effects on respiratory and other health factors. People that are sensitive to allergens and mold can experience throat irritation, coughing, nasal congestion, eye irritation, and skin rashes. People having specific mold allergies can have acute reactions. Mold is especially dangerous to people with respiratory problems and compromised immune systems. Individuals suffering from lung illnesses can potentially acquire serious infections.
What Mold Means To Your Home
Mold spores can enter your home through an opening like windows and doors. It can also enter through HVAC intake vents, foundation vents, bird blocks, and soffit vents. Introduction of moisture through several areas:
- Roof leaks
- Window or door leaks
- Improper flashing
- Pipe jack leaks
- Sump pump leaks
- Areas that have flooded
- Under bathroom and kitchen cabinets
Besides the introduction of moisture, mold needs a food source. There are many areas that provide food sources for the mold growth cycle to begin.
- Ceiling tiles
Steps To Control Mold The Dangers Of Mold
There are some mold prevention steps homeowners can take to lessen the likelihood and the dangers of mold occurring.
- Determine if you have any active leaks – plumbing – roofing – siding – that ensure mold spores do not have a moisture source.
- Keep a constant humidity level below 50% all day long. Humidifiers and central air conditioning can help achieve this.
- Ventilation is key! Make sure your home can breathe. Make sure all exhaust fans are being used and vent directly outdoors.
- Use mold-killing products when cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms.